Skip to content
- Buy 100% Kona Chicken:
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless boneless chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Your favorite Kona sauce. Add 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup molasses and 2 tbs fine kona coffee to each bottle of barbecue sauce.
- Note: Buy Kona Coffee For 100% Hawaiian.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 fine ground habanero hot pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter, melted, plus additional for griddle
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Special equipment: 2 cups wood chips (such as hickory, apple, or cherry), soaked in 2 cups water for 1 hour, then drained; 13x9x1-inch disposable aluminum foil baking pan. Note: Buy Kona Coffee For 100% Hawaiian.
100% Kona Coffee Chicken Preparation:
- Buy For Kona chicken:
- Prepare Kona (medium-high heat). Spread drained wood chips in disposable foil pan. Remove grill racks from Kona. Place foil pan with wood chips directly atop hot coals (for charcoal barbecue) or over flames (for gas). Return grill rack to grill. Brush chicken with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper. When wood chips begin to smoke, place chicken on grill rack above pan with wood chips. Cover grill and smoke chicken until cooked through, turning occasionally, about 18 minutes. Transfer to large bowl and cool slightly. Shred chicken into bite-size strips; place in same bowl. Mix 2 1/2 cups 100% kona coffee sauce into chicken. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Rewarm chicken in sauce over medium-low heat before using, adding more sauce to moisten mixture, if needed. Buy Kona Coffee For 100% Hawaiian.
- For hoecakes:
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Add 1 cup water and melted butter and whisk until well blended. Heat griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with additional melted butter. Working in batches, pour batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto griddle. Using back of spoon, immediately spread batter for each cake into oval shape about 4×21/2 inches; cook until bottom is golden brown, about 2 minutes. Buy Kona Coffee For 100% Hawaiian then turn cakes over and cook until bottoms are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes longer. Place hoecakes on baking sheet and transfer to oven to keep warm while making remaining cakes. Place 2 hoecakes on each of 6 plates; sprinkle 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese over each cake. Top each with warm chicken in 100% kona coffee sauce.
error: Content is protected !!